Details for Prairie Grove

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5005008718

Data

Marker Number 8718
Atlas Number 5005008718
Marker Title Prairie Grove
Index Entry Prairie Grove
Address
City Diboll vicinity
County Angelina
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 336000
UTM Northing 3449613
Subject Codes cities and towns
Marker Year 1996
Designations
Marker Location 5 mi. east of Diboll at intersection of FM 1818 and CR 263
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The community of Prairie Grove began in 1845 and became a place for early settlers to gather. A cemetery began in 1849 when the young daughter of John M. and Caroline Stovall died. In the 1880s a school/church building was erected near the cemetery, and became the heart of the community. The church became the Prairie Grove Missionary Baptist Church in 1921, and a new schoolhouse was built that served the area until 1948 when the school was disbanded. The church and cemetery continue to serve the area after more than a century. (1996)
ATLAS_NUM=5005008718

Location Map