Details for Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary (Atlas Number 5005008723)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5005008723


Marker Number 8723
Atlas Number 5005008723
Marker Title Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary
Index Entry Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary
City Diboll
County Angelina
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 329699
UTM Northing 3451310
Subject Codes lumber topics; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1980
Marker Location S. First St. at railroad tracks, just north of Mill St. intersection, Diboll
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The original commissary at this site was constructed about 1894 when T. L. L. Temple (1859 - 1935) started the first Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill here. The store was moved to the present building when it was completed in 1923. The inventory included groceries, medicine, ice, furniture, dry goods, and coffins. Items were purchased with "company checks," special tokens of metal or wax-coated paper. Managed from 1896 to 1938 by W. P. Rutland, the commissary closed in 1953. The building housed company offices until 1979. (1980)