Details for Westover (Atlas Number 5023012745)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5023012745

Data

Marker Number 12745
Atlas Number 5023012745
Marker Title Westover
Index Entry Westover
Address
City Seymour
County Baylor
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 498373
UTM Northing 3706215
Subject Codes cities and towns
Marker Year 2002
Designations
Marker Location 16 mi. SE of Seymour at intersection of SH 114 and Hale Rd.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Westover Platted in 1910 on the gulf, Texas and Western Railroad, Westover developed into a small market center providing goods and services for area farmers and ranchers. J. W. Stevens offered part of his ranchland for the townsite, which was given the maiden name of his mother-in-law. James H.B. Kyle served as first postmaster when the post office was established in 1910. Businesses, including a bank, barbershops, cotton gins and dry goods stores, as well as churches, a school and a cemetery were established to serve area residents. After the commercial area suffered a fire in 1921 and the rail line was abandoned in 1942, many settlers and businesses moved to Seymour. (2002)