||Built before 1891 by Benjamin F. Whitaker (1845-1916), member of Texas Senate (1893-97), partner of his brother in lumber business and a railroad that became part of Kansas City Southern line. He handpicked materials for this residence for his own family.
Ex-sheriff Bryant Hargett and family were living here by 1904 when a "souvenir" book featured the house as a Texarkana showplace.
Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Perkins now own and preserve the property.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973