Details for Old Collin County Courthouse

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5085000948

Data

Marker Number 948
Atlas Number 5085000948
Marker Title Old Collin County Courthouse
Index Entry Collin County Courthouse, Old
Address
City McKinney
County Collin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 722343
UTM Northing 3675691
Subject Codes courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1982
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Private Property No
Marker Location on Courthouse grounds, 100 Blk of N. Tennessee Ave, between Virginia and Louisiana Sts., McKinney
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Collin County was created from Fannin County in 1846. It was named for pioneer area settler Collin McKinney (1766-1861), a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. The first county seat was established at Buckner (2 mi. NW). In 1848 William and Margaret Davis conveyed 120 acres of land at this site for a more central seat of government, which became the community of McKinney. The first two courthouse in the new town were built of wood. In 1874 county commissioners approved plans for a more substantial courthouse on this site. Sherman architect Charles Wheeler designed the building and O.J. King served as general contractor. Constructed of stone from a local quarry (3.5 mi.ne), it was completed in 1876. A grand ball was held in the courthouse to celebrate the event. By the 1920s the courthouse was inadequate to meet the needs of a growing county. Extensive changes, including the addition of a basement and a third floor, were made in 1926-27 under the direction of architect W.A. Peters of Paris, Texas. The site of many political speeches and events, the building was used as a courthouse until 1979. It now serves as a historic reminder of the county's early development.** (1982)***
ATLAS_NUM=5085000948

Location Map