Details for McCrary House

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5093003283


Marker Number 3283
Atlas Number 5093003283
Marker Title McCrary House
Index Entry McCrary House
Address 802 S. Austin St.
City Comanche
County Comanche
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 537500
UTM Northing 3527943
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1989
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text James Madison McCrary (1845-1932) came to Comanche about 1870. With his father and brother he operated a mercantile on the town square and began the county's first cotton gin. He married Ella Griffith in 1872 and began construction of this house in 1876. Built of limestone quarried near Austin, the central-hall structure features segmental arches and gable-end chimneys. A recognized horticulturist, McCrary moved to a farm east of Comanche in 1910. He returned here to retire in 1926. The home was owned by McCrary descendants until 1987. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989

Location Map