Details for Heartland of Old XIT Ranch (Atlas Number 5111002419)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5111002419

Data

Marker Number 2419
Atlas Number 5111002419
Marker Title Heartland of Old XIT Ranch
Index Entry XIT Ranch, Heartland of Old
Address
City Dalhart
County Dallam
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 723738
UTM Northing 3994821
Subject Codes ranches/ranching
Marker Year 1968
Designations
Marker Location at intersection of U.S. 87 & U.S. 385 -Dalhart
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Great Texas ranch of international fame. Payment made in an 1882 contract for the construction of granite capitol building in Austin. As contractors, some out-of-state investors (headed by the wealthy Chicago merchants, John V. and Senator C.B. Farwell) built the largest state capitol in North America and received in payment 3,000,000-acres of land. The grant, 200 miles long and of varying widths (enclosed later by a 6,000-mile barbed wire fence), extended from near site of present Lubbock to the Oklahoma line 40 miles north of here. It included land in counties of Bailey, Castro, Cochran, Dallam, Deaf Smith, Hartley, Hockley, Lamb, Oldham, and Parmer. Trail Boss Abner Blocker delivered first herd to Buffalo Springs in 1885 and scratched the "XIT" in corral dust with boot heel to design famous brand. Although its land was parcelled and sold, the XIT lives in Texas memories -especially here, 32 miles south of its Buffalo Springs headquarters. Dalhart holds an annual XIT reunion with rodeo and parade featuring a horse with an empty saddle, in honor of range riders of the past. Permanent tribute to XIT cowboys is this "empty saddle" monument, designed by western artist Bobby Dycke, dedicated in 1940. (1968)