||Dr. Samuel H. Gilbert (1828 - 1890) came to Texas about 1850. He settled first in Cass County, and in 1852 married Julia Ann Ritchie (d. 1881) Gilbert purchased 275 acres of land at this site about 1855 and by 1857 had this native limestone house constructed.
In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Gilbert operated a farm here, growing vegetable crops and raising livestock. A respected community leader, he helped outfit a local militia unit during the Civil War and in later years held a number of local public offices.
In 1874 Dr. Gilbert was instrumental in bringing rail service to the Farmers Branch community when he sold part of his property to the Dallas & Wichita Railroad for a right-of-way through the area. The parents of two daughters, the Gilberts continued to reside in this house for the remainder of their lives. The house remained in the Gilbert family until 1937.
A rare surviving example of an early Texas home, the Gilbert House exhibits a vernacular center-passage plan with modest Greek Revival influences. Prominent features of the structure include its double-door entry with transom; a full-width front porch with box columns and classical detailing; twin chimneys; and a large hipped roof.
RTHL - 1990