|| The Texas & Pacific Railroad transferred 640 acres of its land grants here in 1886 to John Hoge of Zanesville, Ohio. He formed the Odessa land & townsite company to promote sale of town lots. Prime house lots sold for $150 and business lots for $200. Literature was distributed in eastern states citing rich soil, pure water, healthful climate, and railroad sponsored excursion trains with free sleeping cars for prospective Byers form 1886 to 1889. A small frame building on this site, razed in 1911, served as the land office, and later as a school and church.