|| Established through efforts of Odessa Townsite Co., which gave $12,000; a northern methodist group matched this fund in 1888.
Rev. M. A. Daugherty, Pittsburgh, Pa., was placed in charge, and a 20-acre plot was allowed to the college. Erection of a 2-story building began in 1890. In 1891 classes for 14 students were taught by Miss Alice Wright, of Maine. A "Mystery" fire destroyed the college after one session.
This church-sponsored college was never rebuilt. In 1946, the new Odessa college was founded to fulfill aims of leadership in education.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.