|| Established in 1886 by Odessa Townsite Company, the Odessa medical and surgical sanitarium was directed by Dr. R.E. Haughton, a former railroad physician from Indiana. It was located in a two-story wooden structure of twenty rooms.
By March 1890 the project had failed. Dr. Haughton moved to Midland. The building became a have for migrant families. A portion was used as a church.
When Ector County was created in January 1891, the sanitarium was moved several blocks and became the first Ector County Courthouse.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.