Details for Mooreville Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5145003464)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5145003464

Data

Marker Number 3464
Atlas Number 5145003464
Marker Title Mooreville Methodist Church
Index Entry Mooreville Methodist Church
Address
City Mooreville
County Falls
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 676861
UTM Northing 3464507
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1991
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location FM 2643, Mooreville
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Methodists living in this area were gathering for worship services as early as 1866. The following year, the Rev. Howell L. Taylor assisted the group in formally establishing a Methodist church congregation. Named the Mooreville Methodist Episcopal Church, South, the congregation had eighteen charter members. Early worship services were held 2 miles southeast of this site on George W. Bowman's farm. By 1874 the congregation had completed its first church structure. Built on land donated by Edward G. Hanrick, it was located 2 miles north. Services were held there until 1882, when the congregation built its second sanctuary at this site upon land donated by Edward McCulloughh. In 1912, the congregation constructed its third and present worship building. The appearance of the wood frame structure is eclectic, as its architectural elements reflect a variety of styles. Prominent features include a Queen Anne style shingled bell tower, bungalow style skirtwall foundation and bracketing, and beaux arts style arched windows. The historic church congregation has played an important role in the community's religious history.