|| Tax records indicate this house was built in 1884, the same year the property was purchased by Paul Meerscheidt from his relative, attorney Axel Meercheidt. German immigrants and prominent local farmers John Speckels, Sr., and his wife Marguerite (Imken) acquired the property in 1890. The house is a fine local example of a late Victorian-era dwelling. Especially fine detailing is evident, including the gable end detail, dormer detail, and decorative geometrical balustrade on the porch. The house was moved slightly to the south of its original location about 1970.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995