Details for Site of Old Saint Mary's Infirmary (Atlas Number 5167007174)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5167007174

Data

Marker Number 7174
Atlas Number 5167007174
Marker Title Site of Old Saint Mary's Infirmary
Index Entry Saint Mary's Infirmary, Old, Site of
Address 715 Market
City Galveston
County Galveston
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes hospitals
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text First private and first Catholic hospital in Texas. Founded 1866 by three Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate World, newly arrived from Lyons, France. First (1867) hospital fought yellow fever epidemic just months after opening. Sisters later founded orphanage for victims. A larger building (1876) took in survivors of great 1900 hurricane. In 1947, the unfinished south wing sheltered victims of the tragic Texas City chemical explosions. Present hospital was built in 1965.