||Attracted by economic opportunities to be found here, a large number of Italian immigrants came to Galveston in the 19th century. In 1876, they formed the Italian Mutual Benevolent Society (Societa'Italiana di Mutuo Soccorso) to provide assistance to fellow immigrants. The society purchased a plot of land in Calvary Catholic Cemetery in 1888 and built this mausoleum, known as the Italian Vault. The structure exhibits Gothic style influences in its buttresses, gargoyles, and Corinthian columns flanking the entrance.
The vault provides space for twelve crypts. It served as a permanent or temporary resting place for more than 70 deceased members until burial could take place in the cemetery. A number of Italian immigrants are interred in plots surrounding the mausoleum. Buried in this cemetery are Captain Clemente Nicolini, a member of the original vault building committee and a former Italian consulate who aided many immigrants; and Gioacchino Cassara, the first president of the Italian Benevolent Society. The vault also was used by members of the later organized Italian society, Stella d'Italia, and finally the the Sons of Italy.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992