||Johann Joseph Knopp House
||Knopp, Johann Joseph, House
||309 W. Schubert
||houses, residential buildings; pioneers; German immigrants/immigration
||Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
||Medallion & Plate
||Built of native stone in 1871, soon after Knopp and his wife Katherina (Stein) came to America. From Germany they traveled six weeks by clipper ship to Indianola and by oxcart to Fredericksburg. They bought this homesite for $70 in gold.
Knopp was a stonemason; family farm, a mile from this home, was worked by the wife and children. (Of the 15 children born to the Knopps, nine reached adulthood.)
House, restored in 1939, was extensively remodeled in 1968.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971