Details for Fort Graham (Atlas Number 5217001984)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5217001984

Data

Marker Number 1984
Atlas Number 5217001984
Marker Title Fort Graham
Index Entry Fort Graham
Address
City Whitney
County Hill
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 652059
UTM Northing 3541842
Subject Codes forts; military topics
Marker Year 1936
Designations
Marker Location Fort Graham Park from Whitney take FM 933 north about 5.3 miles turn west onto FM 2604 and follow to Old Fort Park, barracks and marker located on Cedar Hill Road
Marker Size Small centennial marker
Marker Text The Commission allocated $6,700 for the purchase of the fifty-acre site and the reconstruction of the barracks, partly from the original stone. The property is deeded to the Hill County Commissioners Court and is supervised by four trustees. The building and grounds are used for public gatherings and as a meeting place for civic organizations. A bronze plaque on a small granite monument briefly relates the history of the fort. J. O. Galbraith, architect, drew the plans for the reconstruction. Reconstructed Barracks of Fort Graham A frontier military post established on the site of a Waco Indian village by Brevet Major R. A. Arnold, Second United States Dragoons, on March 27, 1849. Named in honor of Lt. Col. William M. Graham who fell at Molina del Rey, September 8, 1847. Abandoned November 9, 1853, after settlements had been made further west.