||Built 1845 by John J. French (1799-1889), merchant and tanner who came from Connecticut and New York to Texas in 1830s. Served as home and store, with tannery nearby. Early settlers came to "French Town" to trade tallow, hides, corn, and beef for shoes, harnesses, tanned skins, salt, coffee, tea, cloth, and everyday items. Home remained in French family for 95 years (until 1940). French Road, French schools in area still bear family name. Purchased by Beaumont Junior League, 1968; given to Beaumont Heritage Society. Restored to its 1845 appearance in 1969.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969