Details for Woodworth House (Rose Hill) (Atlas Number 5245010582)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5245010582

Data

Marker Number 10582
Atlas Number 5245010582
Marker Title Woodworth House (Rose Hill)
Index Entry Woodworth House (Rose Hill)
Address 100 Woodworth Ave. at Lakeshore Dr.
City Port Arthur
County Jefferson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 411731
UTM Northing 3306981
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; land surveys, land companies, promotional towns; Classical Revival (architectural style)
Marker Year 1978
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text In 1896 Arthur E. Stilwell, president of the Kansas City Southern Railroad, organized a townsite company to settle Port Arthur. Soon afterward, R. H. Woodworth (d. 1923) moved here from Chicago with his bride Mary (d. 1946). They erected their first home on Nashville Avenue. An independent real estate dealer, Woodworth later entered the banking business. He served as Port Arthur's third mayor in 1902. He hired J. H. Baxter of the Griffing Lumber Company to construct this classical revival mansion in 1906. This property was then located on the edge of town. When it was completed, the residence reflected Woodworth's position as a business and social leader. Here the Woodworths raised their children, George and Phebe, and often entertained friends. Mrs. Woodworth served as a director of the First National Bank and was active in the Department Club of Port Arthur. In accordance with her wishes, her daughter Phebe gave Rose Hill to the city in 1947 to be cared for by the Department Club. The elegant structure is maintained as a meeting place for various community groups and as a center for social and cultural events.