Details for Lightfoot-Coleman House

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5277012012


Marker Number 12012
Atlas Number 5277012012
Marker Title Lightfoot-Coleman House
Index Entry Lightfoot-Coleman House
Address 746 S. Church St.
City Paris
County Lamar
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 263096
UTM Northing 3726811
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Eastlake
Marker Year 1965
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Alabama native Henry William Lightfoot a Confederate veteran of Forrest's Cavalry, came to Paris in 1872 as a law partner of Sam Bell Maxey. Two years later, he married Maxey's adopted daughter, Dora Rowel Maxey, and soon the young couple had this house built across the street form the Maxey home. Built of lumber hauled from Jefferson, its outstanding architectural feature is a double gallery decorated with Eastlake-style millwork. Lightfoot served as a state senator and as chief justice of the 5th Court of Civil Appeals. He died while traveling in Alaska in 1901, and his heirs later sold the house to the Rodgers Coleman family, early preservationist who oversaw restorations of the house in the 1950s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965

Location Map