Details for Red River Station (Atlas Number 5337004220)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5337004220

Data

Marker Number 4220
Atlas Number 5337004220
Marker Title Red River Station
Index Entry Red River Station
Address
City Bowie
County Montague
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes cattle, cattle industry topics
Marker Year 1971
Designations
Marker Location
Marker Size State Approved
Marker Text "Jumping-off point" on the famous Chisholm Cattle Trail, (1867-87), Red River Station was a main crossing and last place on trail to buy supplies until Abilene, Kan.--350 miles north. During the cattle drive era of Western history, millions of animals swam the turbulent river here en route to Kansas railhead and markets. An abrupt bend in the river checked its flow at this point, creating a natural crossing which had been used for years by buffalo and Indians. Even so, the water was wide, swift, and sometimes clogged with sand bars. Frequently cattle were so jammed cowboys could walk across on their backs. Besides a cattle crossing, the station was an outpost of the frontier regiment, which patrolled Texas' northernmost border during Confederacy (1861-65). During cattle era, a town began here, its ferry serving drovers, soldiers, freighters, and settlers returning from Indian captivity. Local cemetery (1 mi. SE) contains many graves of these Texas pioneers. (1971)