|| The Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas, began missionary work with this congregation in 1866-1867. The earliest worship services were held in borrowed facilities. The first rector was Hungarian-born Emir Bela Gyeita Cardis Hamvasy, who arrived in 1872. Christ Church Parish was organized in 1874 and moved into a small church building. Plans for a larger brick structure were finalized in 1918. The Rev. Chauncey Edgar Snowden led the first services in the building on Oct. 6, 1918. Today the congregation includes descendants of the earliest parishioners.