Details for Early Commercial Center (Atlas Number 5427006062)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5427006062

Data

Marker Number 6062
Atlas Number 5427006062
Marker Title Early Commercial Center
Index Entry Commercial Center, Early
Address Hildalgo Street at Plaza
City Roma
County Starr
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 498154
UTM Northing 2920592
Subject Codes commercial buildings; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1973
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Main Plaza and Hidalgo Street, Roma.
Marker Size State Approved Marker
Marker Text Built shortly after the U.S.-Mexican War (1846-47) of hand-cut stone in indigenous Mexican style to withstand cold, heat, and Indian attacks. Purchased from estate of James Linton, in 1850, by Simon Jones, first of several merchants in the "Zona Libre" trade between the U.S. and Mexico to occupy the site. Since 1872, it has served as store and residence. Adan Guerra, who bought the building in 1941, and lived in it until 1971, changed several doorways into windows.