Details for Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery (Atlas Number 5439001470)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439001470

Data

Marker Number 1470
Atlas Number 5439001470
Marker Title Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery
Index Entry Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery
Address 1414 S. Main St.
City Fort Worth
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 656792
UTM Northing 3622436
Subject Codes graveyards; Jewish topics
Marker Year 1981
Designations
Marker Location 1414 S. Main St., Fort Worth
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Fort Worth civic leader John Peter Smith donated land at this site in 1879 for use as a cemetery to serve the early Jewish residents of the City. Maintenance of the grounds was first provided by the Emanuel Hebrew Association, which was started by local families. The earliest marked grave is that of a child, Leah Kaiser, who died in 1879. Under the control of Congregation Beth-el since 1962, Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery is the burial site of many prominent business, professional, and civic leaders of Fort Worth's Jewish community. (1981)