Details for First Baptist Church of Arlington (Atlas Number 5439001609)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439001609

Data

Marker Number 1609
Atlas Number 5439001609
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Arlington
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Arlington
Address 300 S. Center St.
City Arlington
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 677362
UTM Northing 3623454
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1982
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Private Property No
Marker Location 300 S. Center St., Arlington
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text In the 1870s this church was organized at Johnson Station, an early Tarrant County settlement and stagecoach stop. In 1876 the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line through the area and founded Arlington. The church and other institutions moved to the new town. Worship services were held at several meeting sites before the congregation built a sanctuary at Pecan and Abram Streets in 1917. That Church building burned in 1944, and an auditorium was constructed on South Center Street in 1947. A new sanctuary at this location was added in 1959. (1982)