Details for First United Methodist Church of Arlington (Atlas Number 5439001881)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439001881

Data

Marker Number 1881
Atlas Number 5439001881
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Arlington
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Arlington
Address 313 N. Center St.
City Arlington
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 677375
UTM Northing 3624009
Subject Codes churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1984
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Private Property No
Marker Location 313 N. Center St.
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text This congregation was established soon after the Texas and Pacific Railroad line was laid through Arlington. In 1877 the Rev. J.T. L. Annis was appointed pastor of the Arlington circuit, which served several area communities, including Arlington. Some of the fellowship's early worship services were held at Schultz's Lumber Yard on Front Street. By 1900, however, a small frame church building had been erected at this site, and Sunday schools, mission activities, and a women's division had been organized. Church membership continued to grow over the years, and facilities were added and expanded to meet the need. Known as Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, South, until 1948, the congregation then was called First Methodist Church of Arlington until 1968, when the current name was adopted. First United Methodist Church of Arlington historically has been a strong supporter of youth programs, the business and professional communities, the elderly, and education. Numerous Arlington schools have been named for members of this congregation who have provided significant service to community education. (1984)