|| Early attempts by the Fort Worth Union Stock Yards Corporation, established in 1887, to persuade Texans to produce more hogs proved unsuccessful. In 1903 the Fort Worth Stockyards constructed new hog and sheep pens and launched a promotional campaign, which included cash and livestock prizes and a youth Pig Club program, to persuade ranchers to raise more hogs. The number of hogs processed at the stockyards increased from 150,527 in 1903 to 1,062,021 in 1917.
The number of sheep processed at the stockyards ranged from about 100,000 to 400,00 per year from 1903 through the 1920s . By 1936 Texas had become the largest producing state for both cattle and sheep. For one week in the spring of 1937 Fort Worth received more sheep than any other principal U.S. market. During World War II cattle, sheep, and hog numbers at the Fort Worth Stockyards increased dramatically. Hog totals topped 1 million in both 1943 and 1944 and from 1943 through 1946 more than 2 million sheep were processed annually at Fort Worth's Stockyards.
The Sheep and Hog Markets were a significant factor in Fort Worth's development into one of the nation's largest livestock centers during the 1940s and 1950s.
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995.