Details for Marrow Bone Spring (Atlas Number 5439003223)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439003223

Data

Marker Number 3223
Atlas Number 5439003223
Marker Title Marrow Bone Spring
Index Entry Marrow Bone Spring
Address 600 W. Arkansas Ln.
City Arlington
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 676891
UTM Northing 3619855
Subject Codes Native Americans; water topics
Marker Year 1979
Designations
Marker Location Marrow Bone Spring Park, corner of Matlock and Arkansas (on walking trail)
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text An Indian habitat in the 1700s or earlier, Marrow Bone Spring in 1843 was visited by President Sam Houston's envoys seeking peace. A trading post licensed by the Texas Republic opened in 1845 near the Spring. Hiram Blackwell of the Peters Colony pioneered here before 1848. Soldier-statesman Middleton Tate Johnson (1810-1866) posted troops nearby in the late 1840s. The first Post Office in Tarrant County opened on Oct. 31, 1851, at Johnson's Station. In 1852 Blackwell sold Johnson his rights to land surrounding the spring. The Village of Johnson's Station flourished for many years. (1979)