Details for P.A. Watson Cemetery (Atlas Number 5439003900)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439003900

Data

Marker Number 3900
Atlas Number 5439003900
Marker Title P.A. Watson Cemetery
Index Entry P.A. Watson Cemetery
Address 1024 N. Watson Rd., SH 360
City Arlington
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 681509
UTM Northing 3626459
Subject Codes cemetery
Marker Year 1979
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Private Property No
Marker Location 1024 N. Watson Rd. (SH 360), Arlington
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Mrs. Micajah Goodwin was buried here in 1846, soon after her family came to this area. They constructed a coffin from their wagon bed and burned brush atop the grave to hide it from Indians. When Patrick Alfred Watson (1810-1894) of North Carolina bought the land in 1853, he set aside a one-acre cemetery. In 1870 Watson gave land and a structure was built for Watson Community's first school and church, later West Fork Presbyterian Church. In 1956 Dallas-Fort Worth Turnpike was routed around the cemetery and the church was relocated.