Details for West Fork United Presbyterian Church (Atlas Number 5439005760)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5439005760

Data

Marker Number 5760
Atlas Number 5439005760
Marker Title West Fork United Presbyterian Church
Index Entry West Fork United Presbyterian Church
Address 602 Santerre Rd.
City Grand Prairie
County Tarrant
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 682511
UTM Northing 3627919
Subject Codes churches; Presbyterian denomination
Marker Year 1982
Designations
Marker Location 602 Santerre Rd., Grand Prairie
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text In 1870 the Rev. Andrew Shannon Hayter organized the Good Hope Cumberland Sabbath School to serve the early settlers of the surrounding area. The first church building, which was also used as a schoolhouse, was located in the vicinity of the Watson Cemetery (2 mi. SW) on property donated by P.A. Watson. In 1872 the congregation adopted the name West Fork. The Church's third sanctuary, built two years after a destructive 1924 fire, was moved to this location in 1955 during construction of the Dallas-Fort Worth Turnpike.