Details for Ashford McGill House (Zilker Park Refectory) (Atlas Number 5453006442)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5453006442

Data

Marker Number 6442
Atlas Number 5453006442
Marker Title Ashford McGill House (Zilker Park Refectory)
Index Entry McGill, Ashford, House (Zilker Park Refectory)
Address 2416 Barton Springs Rd.
City Austin
County Travis
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 617929
UTM Northing 3349534
Subject Codes parks; houses, residential buildings; Federal programs
Marker Year 1990
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark Yes
Private Property No
Marker Location Austin Nature Center, Zilker Park
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Originally built in the 1870s for Austin pioneer Ashford McGill, this native limestone structure and the surrounding property were purchased by Andrew J. Zilker who conveyed the land to the city for a park in 1931. Remodeled by the Federal Civil Works Administration for use as a multiple purpose park building, the house now exhibits 1930s-era detailing, including a pergola-covered courtyard. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1990