Details for Austin High School (Atlas Number 5453006449)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5453006449

Data

Marker Number 6449
Atlas Number 5453006449
Marker Title Austin High School
Index Entry Austin High School
Address 1715 W. Cesar Chavez Street
City Austin
County Travis
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 618674
UTM Northing 3349779
Subject Codes educational topics
Marker Year 1981
Designations
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Tax supported, locally controlled secondary education began in Austin in 1881 with the establishment of a high school department in the city school district. Plans for implementing the program were developed under the leadership of school board President A. P. Wooldridge and Superintendent John B. Winn. Austin High School opened in September 1881 with an enrollment of 31 girls and 17 boys. Classes were first held on the third floor of West Austin School building at the corner on 11th and Rio Grande. Due to continued growth, classes were later moved to the First Baptist Church building, the temporary state Capitol, and the Smith Opera House. In 1900 the first high school building was completed at Trinity and 9th. When the enrollment outgrew the facilities there, the high school was moved to the campus of John T. Allan Junior High School on Rio Grande. Austin High School was moved again in 1975, following the completion of a new complex at this site. For over a century, Austin High School has been a leader in the development of innovative educational programs and has maintained a record of academic excellence that reflects the community's concern for the quality of education in Austin. (1981)