||James Stephen Hogg's Early Home
||Hogg, James Stephen, Early Home
||SH 37 S
||governors; houses, residential buildings
||Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
||In Gov. Jim Hogg City Park
||Medallion & Plate
|| Built in 1860s; bought Jan. 8, 1873, by James Stephen Hogg (1851-1906), who in 1874 married Sarah Ann Stinson of Wood County. When the couple honeymooned in this cottage, young Hogg was editor-publisher of "Quitman News" and justice of the peace -- start of a brilliant career which led to governorship of Texas, 1891-1895.
Local clubs bought the cottage and moved it here in 1946. It was restored in 1952 by Gov. and Mrs. Hogg's only daughter, Miss Ima.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962