||Dallas first opened a city hospital on Lamar street in 1874, moving to Maple Avenue in the 1890s. In 1913, a new state of the art facility was erected, reflecting a nationwide movement toward modern medical care. The new building was the source of development for the neighborhood as a medical center and also the first home to Southwestern Medical College (now the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School). In 1954, Parkland Hospital relocated to a new facility at 5201 Harry Hines Blvd, where it set standards in healthcare and in medical advances. On November 22, 1963, John F. Kennedy was taken to that facility following his assassination. Today, Parkland Hospital continues to be a leader in providing medical care to the needy.