|| Located in northern Ector County, Gardendale is an area known for horse ranches, oil production and pecan orchards. Prior to 1950, the area was owned by a Sherman physician and called Neathery Ranch. In the late 1950s, Odessa realtor and land developer Fred Gage and his associates purchased 6,500 acres of land for development. The new community quickly became an attractive option for people seeking a rural environment.
The Gardendale Community Association, active since 1970, helped secure a community center and a fire department, along with other community enhancements such as park improvements, a horse arena and other recreational spaces. An annual fundraiser continues to fund community projects and organizations.
During the 1970s and 1980s, Gardendale became known for its large pecan orchards, boasting almost 80,000 pecan trees. The local pecan processing facility played a significant role in Texas' rank as the second-largest producer of pecans in 1978. In the 1980s, Gardendale was home to several vineyards, including one of the only table grape vineyards in the state. Drought and harsh weather conditions affected both agricultural industries, despite the proximity to a ground water source known as the Midland Draw.
Due to drought concerns, the greater Gardendale Water Supply Corp. Formed in 2000 to deliver reliable water to its residents. The area is also home to a 120-acre Odessa College Rodeo and Agricultural Graham Center and the nationally recognized Odessa College Rodeo Team. The citizens of Gardendale continue to honor their agricultural heritage and traditions.