Details for Frankston City Park (Atlas Number 5001008755)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5001008755

Data

Marker Number 8755
Atlas Number 5001008755
Marker Title Frankston City Park
Index Entry Frankston City Park
Address
City Frankston
County Anderson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 263362
UTM Northing 3548708
Subject Codes parks
Marker Year 1995
Designations
Marker Location City Park, Main at Elm on SH 155, Frankston
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text In 1900 the Texas & New Orleans Railroad built a line through this area and plotted a townsite here on land owned by Frankie Miller. The town was named for "Miss Frankie" who donated this site, known as the Town Square, for a city park. By 1908 a city park existed here, and a post office and many of the town's earliest businesses had opened around the park square. A gazebo, built about 1920, replaced a small bandstand and became the site of various local festivities and social events. The park square continues to serve as the town's social and business center. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995