Details for Frankston Railroad Depot (Atlas Number 5001008756)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5001008756

Data

Marker Number 8756
Atlas Number 5001008756
Marker Title Frankston Railroad Depot
Index Entry Frankston Railroad Depot
Address
City Frankston
County Anderson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 263360
UTM Northing 3548709
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads
Marker Year 1977
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location SH 155, Frankston
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text In 1900 the Texas & New Orleans Railroad, now part of the Southern Pacific line, platted the town of Frankston. The station was first called Frankport and the post office Ayres. Both were renamed Frankston in 1902 for Miss Frankie Miller, who gave land for a city park. In 1906 this frame depot was built. The railroad connected local farmers with distant markets and provided passenger service from 1903 to 1964. The depot was restored in 1976 as a museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977