Details for Hodges-Darsey House (Atlas Number 5001008764)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5001008764

Data

Marker Number 8764
Atlas Number 5001008764
Marker Title Hodges-Darsey House
Index Entry Hodges-Darsey House
Address 517 E. Hodges St.
City Palestine
County Anderson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 251259
UTM Northing 3518041
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Queen Anne (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1973
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 517 E. Hodges St., Palestine
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text In the 1870s, after the International & Great Northern Railroad line reached Palestine, brothers A. B. and Dan Hodges moved here from Tennessee Colony settlement and became leading merchants. This house was built in 1895 by Dan Hodges for his wife Margaret Sue (Jackson) and their five children. A good example of Queen Anne style residences of the late Victorian era, the house was purchased in 1959 by William Gray Darsey, Jr., (who restored and preserved it) a leader in the area oil industry. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973