Details for Manning (Atlas Number 5005007000)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5005007000

Data

Marker Number 7000
Atlas Number 5005007000
Marker Title Manning
Index Entry Manning
Address
City Huntington vicinity
County Angelina
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 353330
UTM Northing 3446231
Subject Codes lumber topics; ghost towns
Marker Year 1980
Designations
Marker Location FM 844, 10 mi. south of Huntington
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The community of Manning grew up around the operations of the Carter-Kelley Lumber Company, established here about 1906. The town was named for D. W. W. Manning (b. 1820) who started a sawmill here in 1867. By 1929 Manning had a population of 1300 and included a movie theater, a school, stores, churches, a post office, and a railroad depot. The town began to decline after a fire destroyed the mill in the mid-1930s, and operations were moved to Camden (30 mi. W). The townsite is now marked by homes, sawmill ruins, and a cemetery. (1980, 1995) Supplemental plaque: This house and what was left of Manning after the mill fire of 1936 were bought by Morgan M. Flournoy. Here he and his wife Ruby raised five children.