Details for Burke School (Atlas Number 5005011655)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5005011655

Data

Marker Number 11655
Atlas Number 5005011655
Marker Title Burke School
Index Entry Burke School
Address
City Burke
County Angelina
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes educational topics; Federal programs
Marker Year 1998
Designations
Marker Location county road 62, Burke
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The community of Burke was established along the Houston, East and West Texas Railroad in 1882. S. J. and Nancy Arrington conveyed one acre of land adjoining the town on which to establish a public school. The first building, a one-room structure, was enlarged to three rooms within a few years. The 1887 enrollment was about fifty students. Voters approved a bond in 1910 to erect a brick schoolhouse for grades 1 through 7. For many years, Burke wa an independent district. The brick edifice was torn down in 1935 and replaced with a larger schoolhouse built with Works Progress Administration funds. After the Burke Independent School District was consolidated with the Diboll schools in 1964, the Burke schoolhouse remained in service to the community as a senior citizens center and polling place. (1999)