Details for Old Rock Baptist Church (Atlas Number 5013003795)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5013003795

Data

Marker Number 3795
Atlas Number 5013003795
Marker Title Old Rock Baptist Church
Index Entry Rock Baptist Church, Old
Address
City Somerset
County Atascosa
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 531125
UTM Northing 3229180
Subject Codes graveyards; Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1971
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Old Rock Road; From Somerset take FM 2790 to Rossville Road. Turn left on Rossville Road, then right onto Old Rock Road. The church and cemetery are located about .25 miles on right.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Organized as Medina Baptist Church in April 1857 at Mann's Crossing, near Macdona. Until 1866, when members built an arbor here near Old Somerset, the services were held in homes or in a schoolhouse. Site for meetinghouse and cemetery (2.5 acres here) was bought for ten dollars in 1867 by committeemen F. M. Avent, Elisha A. Briggs, and W. D. Johnson on behalf of Medina Church. This committee also drew the plans; Briggs, a settler from Massachusetts and a stonemason, did much of the construction. Worship began here in 1869 as soon as house had roof and walls--although door and window spaces were empty and there was no floor except bare ground. In those early days, four ordained ministers took turns as unpaid pastors. Avent was clerk and sexton. Medina Church membership was racially integrated. Some of the Negro members lie buried in honored graves in the cemetery. In 1892 Medina Church relocated at Bexar. Cemetery maintenance was continued here; "Old Rock" was used at times for funerals or worship. In 1921, after local petroleum discoveries, Grayburg Oil Company and some of its employees helped renovate the meetinghouse. Congregation renamed itself for the Old Rock Church and regular worship has continued here ever since. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971