Details for Hill House (Atlas Number 5015011704)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5015011704

Data

Marker Number 11704
Atlas Number 5015011704
Marker Title Hill House
Index Entry Hill House
Address 256 Park Road 38
City San Felipe
County Austin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 780215
UTM Northing 3300804
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location On Park Road 38 just off FM 1458, San Felipe. Medallion may be missing.
Marker Size 27" x 42" marker with post
Marker Text The first known person to occupy the land where the Hill House is located was Judge Robert M. "Three Legged Willie" Williamson. During his ownership, the community of San Felipe de Austin was burned to the ground by order of Moseley Baker, a garrison leader under the command of Gen. Sam Houston's army during the Texas Revolution. By May 1836, families returned to San Felipe and began rebuilding the community. It is believed that at this time Williamson or the subsequent landowner, E.W. Johnson, constructed the original structure of the Hill House. Prior to 1842 the property was sold to Col. David Young Portis, who married Rebecca Cumings on Dec. 28, 1842. The home changed hands several times during the next fifty years. Sometime between 1880 and 1893, the home underwent changes that included the addition of a second floor. Henry and Anne Josey Pitts enlarged the house using material, including the staircase, from Anne's father's home, which was demolished that same year. Henry Pitt's uncle, Jacob Hill, bought the home in 1899 and presented it as a wedding gift to his son Jacob Walter Hill and his new bride, Carrie May Elder. For more than a hundred years, descendants of Jacob and Carrie Hill have maintained ownership of the house. The two-story, wood-clad home was built using cypress lumber and its unique construction, a result of the two-story addition, is representative of 19th-century vernacular architectural styles in Texas. It features three brick chimneys and simple Queen Anne-style gingerbread porch supports. The home was completely restored in 2009. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962