Details for First Bandera County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5019001599)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5019001599

Data

Marker Number 1599
Atlas Number 5019001599
Marker Title First Bandera County Courthouse
Index Entry Bandera County Courthouse, First
Address
City Bandera
County Bandera
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 493300
UTM Northing 3288287
Subject Codes fraternal organizations; courthouses; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location County agricultural offices, one block southeast of Highway 16, next to old jail
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Georgia stonemason Henry White is credited with building this structure in 1868. In 1877, a store occupied the first floor and the Masonic Lodge met on the top floor. County commissioners bought the building that year to provide space for county offices, then housed in rented quarters. The county retained ownership of the structure after a larger courthouse was erected in 1890. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979