Details for St. Stanislaus Convent and First Catholic School (Atlas Number 5019005082)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5019005082

Data

Marker Number 5082
Atlas Number 5019005082
Marker Title St. Stanislaus Convent and First Catholic School
Index Entry Saint Stanislaus Convent and First Catholic School
Address
City Bandera
County Bandera
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 492695
UTM Northing 3287874
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; educational topics; museums; Roman Catholic denomination
Marker Year 1975
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Corner of Seventh Street and Cedar Street, Bandera.
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Polish settlers, who came to Bandera in 1855, built this convent and Catholic school in 1874. All classes, except religion and music, were moved in 1882 to a nearby frame school building. In 1922 a second story was added to the native limestone convent, in which the Sisters lived until a new residence was erected in 1963. The parish school was closed in 1968. Restored in 1971, this structure is now a museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1975.