Details for Benjamin Franklin and Mary Hay Langford, Jr. Home (Atlas Number 5019012931)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5019012931

Data

Marker Number 12931
Atlas Number 5019012931
Marker Title Benjamin Franklin and Mary Hay Langford, Jr. Home
Index Entry Langford, Benjamin Franklin, Jr., and Mary Hay, Home
Address 407 Fourteenth St
City Bandera
County Bandera
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 493126
UTM Northing 3288594
Subject Codes Colonial Revival; houses, residential buildings; women
Marker Year 2002
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 407 Fourteenth St
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Bandera's early settlers included Lyman Wight's Mormon colony, which arrived in 1854. In 1890, John and Jennie Davenport Miller bought this site from colonists George and Virgine Minear hay. George and early Bandera settler Isaac Berry Langford helped build a home for the Millers, who sold it in 1904 to children of the Hays and Langfords: Benjamin Franklin "Frank" Langford, Jr., and his bride, Mary Emma Hay. The couple added to the house over the years, converting the one-story, l-plan design into a two-story block structure. Frank and Mary were active in the community and donated land across the street for a Mormon church. The long-time Langford family home serves as a reminder of Bandera's early history. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002