||New York native Henry Crocheron (1806-1873) and his wife Mary Ann Tipple (1816--1888) built this Greek Revival house about 1857. A prominent businessman with interests in lumbering, land, and cotton, Crocheron was one of Bastrop's earliest leaders in civic affairs and local government. Here the Crocherons raised a niece, Mary Ann "Mollie" Nicholson McDowall, who married, went abroad, and returned here after the death of her husband William McDowall and inherited the home in 1888. She later ran a music school here before moving to Houston, where she was a successful clubwoman.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
Incise on base: Lower Colorado River Authority - 1996