Details for Elgin Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5021009182)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5021009182

Data

Marker Number 9182
Atlas Number 5021009182
Marker Title Elgin Methodist Church
Index Entry Elgin Methodist Church
Address 216 W. 3rd St.
City Elgin
County Bastrop
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 662291
UTM Northing 3332267
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; Gothic Revial (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1988
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 216 W. 3rd St., Elgin
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Organized in 1874 as the Elgin Methodist Episcopal Church, South, this was the first congregation started in the town of Elgin. A small frame sanctuary built here in 1882 was replaced by this Gothic revival structure. Built by local contractor J. C. Miller, it was completed in October 1906. Prominent features include its stairstep gable corbelling, small corner pinnacles around the larger towered entryway, and memorial art glass windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988