Details for First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Smithville (Atlas Number 5021009186)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5021009186

Data

Marker Number 9186
Atlas Number 5021009186
Marker Title First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Smithville
Index Entry First Christian Church of Smithville
Address
City Smithville
County Bastrop
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 677290
UTM Northing 3321108
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Christian (Disciples of Christ) denominations; churches
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 4th and Burleson, Smithville
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Formed in 1896, this congregation worshiped originally at Maney's Opera House and later shared the Cumberland Presbyterian facility. The Disciples erected this church structure in 1903. Builders were Chester H. Turney, a member of this fellowship, and his brother Major M. Turney, of the Presbyterian congregation. The building has a bell tower above the entrance vestibule. Stained glass transoms decorate the windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979