Details for First Methodist Church of Smithville (Atlas Number 5021009187)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5021009187

Data

Marker Number 9187
Atlas Number 5021009187
Marker Title First Methodist Church of Smithville
Index Entry First Methodist Church of Smithville
Address 400 Olive St.
City Smithville
County Bastrop
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 677290
UTM Northing 3321108
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; Gothic Revial (Architectural style); churches; Romanesque/Richardsonian Romanesque (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1988
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location corner of Olive and 4th St.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Organized in 1888 by the Rev. H. M. Haynie and eight charter members, the Methodist congregation in Smithville met in the local school until a frame sanctuary was completed in 1893. A new brick structure was built in 1912-13. Following damage in a 1922 fire, it was rebuilt and enlarged. Exhibiting influences of the Gothic revival and Romanesque styles of architecture, the building features art glass windows, a zig-zag wall, and truncated tower. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988