Details for First Christian Church of Seymour (Atlas Number 5023001717)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5023001717

Data

Marker Number 1717
Atlas Number 5023001717
Marker Title First Christian Church of Seymour
Index Entry First Christian Church of Seymour
Address 401 N. East St.
City Seymour
County Baylor
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 475969
UTM Northing 3716838
Subject Codes Christian (Disciples of Christ) denominations; churches
Marker Year 1970
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 401 N. East St., Seymour
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Organized March 1880 with 12 members: Mr. and Mrs. N. M. Bandy, Mr. Banteau, Miss May Boone, Judge and Mrs. R. J. Browning, Mr. and Mrs. Buck McEwen, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Ransom, Mr. and Mrs. Windy Turner. Early services were held in Baylor County Courthouse. Later, rock building nearby was used. Cooperating with the Masonic Lodge, church body erected a 2-story building in 1884. Present Gothic revival church of local stone was built during 1906-1907. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970.